Eighteen athletes have been invited to the 2023 Red Bull Rampage, the premier big-mountain freeride competition, which returns on October 13.
The world’s top mountain bike athletes will descend on south-western Utah, where they’ll compete to determine the best in the sport. Here is all you need to know:
- The top five riders from the 2022 competition were automatically pre-qualified for this year’s event, while the other 13 wildcards and five alternates were selected by a committee of former Rampage competitors, pro athletes, judges and industry experts based on competition results and video submissions.
- Four former winners and three event rookies are among those set to compete, highlighting a blend of seasoned veterans and hungry newcomers ready to leave their mark on the event.
- This year marks the event's 17th edition and sees it return to the 2022 site. Located just outside of Virgin, Utah, this venue has hosted the 2008-2013 and 2022 competition zone. Five events have been held at this location, where some of freeride’s most iconic moments have occurred, including Cam Zink’s huge 360 off the Oakley Icon Sender in 2010 and Kelly McGarry’s legendary backflip over the 72-foot road gap in 2013.
- There is no return for defending champion Brett Rheeder, who has retired from competition. Four-time winner Brandon Semenuk was also a pre-qualified athlete based on his third-place finish in 2022, but scheduling conflicts have put paid to his appearance at this year's event, with Gee Atherton stepping in as his replacement. The undeniable king of mountain bike slopestyle Emil Johnansson is on the list as a wildcard however, making it his second appearance at Rampage following his debut in 2019.
- 2022 Rampage runner-up Szymon Godziek said: “Red Bull Rampage is the ultimate test of your skill on a mountain bike. I’m excited to return to Utah for my seventh Rampage invitation, reconnect with the top riders in the freeride scene and put together a run that showcases my style and technique.”
- Only time will tell what this year’s riders will add to the freeride history books at Red Bull Rampage. The event is free to watch on Red Bull TV outside the USA and on ESPN+ for domestic viewers. To stay up to date on the latest Red Bull Rampage information visit the event website here.
2023 Red Bull Rampage invited athletes
Pre-qualified athletes:Szymon Godziek (POL)Reed Boggs (USA)Thomas Genon (BEL)Carson Storch (USA)
Wildcard invites:Adolf Silva (SPA)Alex Volokhov (CAN)Bienvenido Aguado Alba (SPA)Brendan Fairclough (GBR)Cam Zink (USA)Clemens Kaudela (AUT)DJ Brandt (USA)Emil Johansson (SWE)Jaxson Riddle (USA)Kurt Sorge (CAN)Kyle Strait (USA)Talus Turk (USA)Tom Van Steenbergen (USA)Gee Atherton (UK)